Friday, December 30, 2011

Barefoot and Happy

A year ago at Christmas, it took all the strength I could muster to pretend to be present at the Christmas going ons. I suppose I was lucky that it was our year to be in Colorado. I was surrounded by my immediate family who were all just as sad as I was at the demise of my marriage. Just a simple glance between my sister and I and tears would well up in both of our eyes. My father would touch me in passing and we'd end up in a hug, both sobbing. My children could be found on the floor in our room in tears as well. It was perhaps our lowest point. During one of these cryfests, I removed myself from the rest of the family to go to my room. My mom followed shortly thereafter and she said something that I haven't forgotten, but at the time did not believe. In fact I thought she was crazy. Whether she knew it to be true or not at the time or if she was just speaking it to make us both feel better, I'll never know. She doesn't remember even saying it, but I do. She spoke these words to me..."In a year you won't even recognize your life."

Here we are a year later and guess what? My mom was right. I never knew a year ago that I would be working, that I would be in a new house that I adore and that is all mine, that my kids would seemingly be adjusted to our new life, that I would be adjusted to my new life and most amazingly that I would find a man who in my eyes was created perfectly for me. And that my folks is what this meandering post is all about. That guy.

He's amazing. He is spiritually balanced, loves our God, has a wicked sense of humor, a smile that makes me melt and arms that make me feel safe and warm. He is someone that I can spend hours talking to or just sit quietly with. When I began praying for God to prepare someone for me, I never could have imagined that he would be Dan Pennington. You see we went to high school together. We weren't friends back then. I knew who he was, he knew who I was, that was the extent of our teenage relationship. I never looked across the hall at him and thought...hmmmmmmm. I never really thought anything at all about him. This past year he went through the same experience that I did, a devastating divorce.

I, being a Facebook addict, noticed him posting 10 days of gratitude on his page. I saw a depth and spirit in him and began to comment. His thoughts were making me think. At the end of the ten days, he sent me a message and we began corresponding about how our faith got us through. We agreed to meet. I wanted to give him a copy of Alan Wright's sermon, Love Like You've Never Been Hurt(remember that one?). We met at a bar(how cliche)around 8 PM. He walked in all smiles. I'll never forget the moment he came around the corner and smiled. We easily fell into conversation and it never stopped. We ended up closing the place down, only to move to the grass next to a nearby lake where we sat for hours more talking and listening to music. I think we were there until almost 3 AM. It was not supposed to be a date, but it most definitely ended as one. He walked me to my car where I was going to give him the sermon and we kissed. It was awesome. We were connected so instantly. He pulled away and I said something to the effect of "you know you want another one" and he threw the papers into the air and really kissed me. It was the most magical kiss/date I had ever been on. That was August 1. We are almost to January 1 and it feels like we've known each other our entire lives. He is a true blessing to me.

So mom, you were right. I don't recognize my life. At all. I am happy, in love and thankful beyond belief. God has reigned down his blessings on me over and over again. I love my barefoot, guitar playing, bald, painter.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange remembering where you was a year ago, it'a amazing how fast life changes......how fast we scratch something off the "somthing we will never do" and put it on the "somthing we have done" list

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy and wonderful where I've been and where I am now. I appreciate you reading. :)

    ReplyDelete